Should I Pick a Matte, Satin, or Gloss Vehicle Wrap Finish?
If you’re in the market for a vehicle wrap, you’ve probably run across the terms: matte, satin, or gloss. In fact, if you’re dealing with regular house paint you’ve probably heard these terms too! Hearing all these different terms may have you wondering; should I pick a matte, satin, or gloss vehicle wrap?
In this article, we explain the main differences between these wrap finishes and go over what option would work best for your vehicle.
What is the Difference Between Matte, Satin, and Gloss?
The main difference between these type of vehicle wraps lies in the wrap’s finish. The difference being mainly focused on the amount of shine. Here are the main categories of wrap finishes:
- Matte Vehicle Wraps – Matte wraps are the new age look. They offer a bit more pop for your vehicle (due to rarity) than the common gloss finish. Ultimately, this flat look offers more focus on the vehicle’s curves.
- Satin Vehicle Wraps – Satin wraps offer a middle ground between matte and gloss finishes. This type of wrap offers the uniqueness you’d get with a matte wrap, but with a little bit of shine.
- Glossy Vehicle Wraps – Glossy vehicle wraps mimic the paint finish we commonly find with vehicles. This wrap finish makes the vehicle look shiny and reflects light very well.
What Type of Vehicle Wrap Luster Should I Choose?
This is a hard question to answer. Ultimately, the best way to decide is to take your make and model of vehicle and search the internet for similar type of wraps. This will give you a good idea of the look you like so you can go to your local vehicle wrapping company and have them complete the work.
That said, if you want to be on-trend, matte vehicle wraps are the newest thing. This is because matte vehicle wraps stand-out from the crowd much more than gloss or satin. In addition, matte vehicle wraps highlight the curves and lines of your vehicle more.
If you’re not sure about a matte vehicle wrap, but still want something that stands out from the crowd, why not go with a satin vehicle wrap? Satin is the perfect combination of unique color change coupled with shine. Or, maybe you simply want a color change wrap but like the look of gloss—then go with a gloss wrap!
Are There Other Options for Vehicle Wraps?
Yes, there are other options to consider in addition to the matte, satin, or gloss looks. Here are a few of the unique looks you can achieve with a new vehicle wrap:
- Brushed Metal Vehicle Wraps. These wraps look just like real brushed metal finishes. They have a slightly metallic look to them but offer all the added benefits of a vehicle wrap.
- Frozen Vehicle Wraps. The ‘frozen’ look as we call it is one of the most eye-catching looks out there. This finish combines a chrome wrap with a matter over-laminate producing a unique, frozen style.
- Chrome Vehicle Wraps. These wraps offer a mirror-like finish for your vehicle. Completing this type of vehicle wrap takes some serious skill, but the look is sure to be one-of-a-kind.
- Over-Laminates. An over-laminate is a protective layer added to a wrap. These are commonly couple with a printed wrap where you want to protect the design. What’s unique about the over-laminate is that it adds a unique look to the finished product depending on the finish you go with (matte, satin, or gloss).
What Finish Will You Choose?
Ultimately, the choice is up to you. That’s the beauty of a vehicle wrap in that you have the freedom to pick the look you prefer and see it come to life. That said, be sure you partner with an experienced vehicle wrap shop. This will ensure the best finished product and the most beautiful results.